Job vacancy: Apprentice Data Scientist
Deadline: 31st January 2022
Open Innovations - What we do
Open Innovations is a not-for-profit, independent, mission-led, radically-open organisation. We work out in the open with our sponsors, companies, organisations, governments and individuals to use open, shared, and closed data to innovate and help people make better decisions.
In short, we do innovation with data and almost everything you need to know about us and what we do is on our website.
What you will do
You will be enrolled in the Baltic Apprenticeships - Level 3 Data Science Technician program and work to support the work of the Open Innovations team helping us to deliver our Data Projects and innovation events including:
- Complete research and development support for our team that are delivering our open source products and projects, e.g.Covid Trackers, Dashboards, Maintenance of our website, Leeds Digital festival visualisation, Business Rates tracker, Open Data Tools, HexMaps;
- Support our team that provide web development & data visualisation projects and also support the team that maintains & updates our website;
- Writing technical blogs, case studies and reports;
- General administrative duties to help Open Innovations run smoothly e.g events and audio/visual support for our events.
A typical day
A typical day might include some or all of the following:
- Check in with the team;
- Help prepare data for inclusion in one of tools, e.g. our Diversity Data or Covid dashboards;
- Pick some website maintenance from the backlog - open-innovations.org, opendatasaveslives.org, opentransportnorth.org;
- Join in to help with the technical delivery of our in-person and online events e.g. the recent Levelling Up launch;
- Support to a data and web project - web-development/data preparation/processing/publishing/visualisation e.g. UKPN's Heat Street;
- Responding to the next thing that Open Innovations has been asked to assist with which could be, for example, helping with the data architecture, technical design, publications, and visualisation of all of the data relating to Leeds 2023.
What we will provide
- Permanent position - 35hr week with appropriate breaks
- Salary of £18,000 per annum
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays and Open Innovations Christmas break
- Space to work in our open-plan, collaborative workspace in central Leeds
- Guidance on your work and, if applicable, your projects
- The opportunity to attend Open Innovations events
- Access and connections to the Open Innovations network
- A full-time position (5 day a week) with flexible work hours and time to attend Training in line with your Apprenticeship Agreement
- Combination of remote and in-work working
- A 3 month probationary period and review of our arrangements after 12 months and successful completion of your apprenticeship training.
What we expect from you
- A helpful, friendly and can-do attitude
- Punctuality, commitment and reliability in your work and studies
- Excellent results in your apprenticeship work assessments and projects
- That you will agree to and abide by the Open Innovations Code of Conduct and Etiquette at all times when you are representing Open Innovations in person or on the web
- Professional approach and attitude in all of your work, strict adherence to the Open Innovations Employee Handbook, including our online security, web browsing and drugs and alcohol policies.
What to do next
Please send a cover letter (no more than one page) and a CV (no more than two pages) to Paul Connell. Examples of your work, or alternatives to a standard CV are welcomed, but please keep them short.
We are keen to recruit soon and may be interviewing for this position before the deadline. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply as soon as possible.